Is the problem on the server?
- The best way to test server problems is to try to use your webmail. Webmail is hosted on the server itself, and so bypasses your network and your local email client. This makes it ideal for troubleshooting.
- Visit your webmail URL.
- http://webmail.example.com: Please replace example.com with your own domain name.
- Log into webmail with your full email address and email password.
- If you CAN'T log in, please try to
- If you still get an authentication error, this is most likely a server issue.
- If you don't get an error, but it takes a very long time to log in and/or times out, please skip to
- If you CAN log in, proceed to the next step.
- Send yourself a test message. You can send to this same email address, or to an external email address (such as a Hotmail or Gmail account). Reply to the message to test both sending and receiving.
- If you get an immediate error when attempting to send or receive, note the exact error. This is aserver issue.
- If you get a bounceback, please skip to
- If you get no error, but the message has not delivered for at least five minutes, please skip to
- If you can successfully send and receive from webmail, this indicates that the server is fine. Proceed to the next step, then the next section, to troubleshoot possible network problems.
- There are a small number of server problems that might not be "caught" by the webmail test. If you notice one of the following, please first continue with the next troubleshooting sections, because these problems are just as likely to be caused by a network or email client problem. If you finish troubleshooting and are still having one of the problems described below, continue to the final step.
- If you have SMTP or Outgoing mail server connection problems, the mail server may be configured incorrectly.
- If you have problems with POP but not IMAP, webmail uses IMAP only, so again, the mail server setting in your email client may be configured incorrectly.
Was this answer helpful?
Make sure that your mail service is enabled. Also, check to make sure that you don't have a...
We activated mode_security on host plans so if you can not define a permanent link for your...
This is a practical, step-by-step approach to troubleshooting email problems. Is the problem on...
The easy answer is simplicity itself: Click Tools, click Accounts, click Add, click Mail, and...
If your webmail test and your telnet tests from the previous section haven't turned up any server...